-How do I Spot the Signs of Child Abuse?

Signs of Physical Child Abuse
Physical Child Abuse is defined as the attack or assault of a child through the use of force, violence, or any other variety of physical means intended for bodily harm. The signs of abuse may be in the form of bruises, injuries, cuts, scars, and blemishes on the body of a victim. These signs of child abuse typically occur on a habitual, repeat or consistent basis.

Signs of Emotional Child Abuse
This type of child abuse is classified as the verbal or emotional suffering directed at a child. Brief mentions of this type of abuse may be the only available signs of child abuse and these signs may present themselves in the form of hints and attempts to convey the abuse on the part of the victim.

Signs of Sexual Child Abuse
Sexual Child Abuse involves the illegal engagement of a child in illicit, unlawful, and unethical sexual activity; due to the fact that children are unable to consent to the participation of any nature of sexual activity. This crime is considered to be both exploitative and predatory by nature. The signs of sexual child abuse mirror those both of physical abuse and emotional abuse.

-How can I help and who should I tell if I or someone I know has been abused?

Helplines and Support Groups
If you, or someone you know, was abused as a child and are experiencing emotional or physical difficulties you or they can contact helplines and support groups, many of which are free, at any time. The trained team can offer advice and support while respecting how difficult it can be to talk about.

Some adults may recover from the physical, psychological and/or sexual abuse in childhood, however others may experience continuing feelings or problems such as: depression and other mental health issues, anger, sadness or low self-esteem, substance use, disturbing thoughts, emotions and memories that cause distress or confusion, poor physical health, worrying their abuser is still in the community and has access to children or young people, struggling with parenting or relationships.

One helpline with information about support groups in your area that Jordans recommends is http://www.napac.org.uk/

Solicitors Specialising in Abuse
If you, or the person you know who has been abused, feels that a helpline or support group is not an option then you can contact our specialist team of solicitors dedicated to victims of abuse.

Whilst making child abuse claims for compensation can not take away the problems such as those listed above, it could help with the cost of treatment and/or rehabilitation. It could also help achieve justice against those who were responsible for the traumatic experiences. Please contact the Abuse Team in confidence on 0800 9555 094 and one of our team of dedicated child abuse solicitors will be happy to discuss your situation whilst providing support and advice during a very difficult and stressful time.

Related Blog Articles