It is possible to sue your parents (biological or adopted) for child abuse once you become an adult, over the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18 you will need a legal guardian. The abuse of trust can be an extremely difficult aspect to come to terms with and you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation and have the perpetrator(s) brought to justice.

Abuse claims include:
– Physical Abuse — This can include physical injuries such as being beaten, hit, cut or burnt as well as being confined or restrained against your will.
– Sexual Abuse — This includes any kind of indecent assault or molestation which has involved the forcing of undesired sexual behaviour.
– Psychological Abuse — This can involve any kind of psychological trauma inflicted by threatening behaviour, insults and intimidation.
– Neglect — This can be a failure to provide basic living or protection from harm and can include food, water, heating, adequate housing and healthcare.

Child abuse can take a long time to come to terms with and it can be difficult for victims to speak out about their traumatic experiences. Regardless of how long ago the abuse took place, you may still be able to make a claim. An expert child abuse solicitor will be able to help you clarify if you can make a case against your parent(s) and a claim for compensation.

Victims of child abuse may be able to make an additional claim against the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). It may also be possible to sue local authorities, such as social services, for failing to see that you were a child at great risk and not intervening.

Please read our blog post on time limits for abuse claims to find more information. Speak to one of our child abuse lawyers if you think you have suffered from abuse.

Related Blog Articles