The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IISCA) has asked Prince Charles to give a witness statement about the letters sent to Bishop Peter Ball.

The handling of allegations against Ball is being examined by the IICSA. Ball was the former Bishop of Gloucester and Lewes and covered Prince Charles’s Highgrove home. Prince Charles exchanged letters with Ball.

At the inquiry on Wednesday, Counsel stated that statements had been requested from Prince Charles and his private secretary.

The inquiry was told that Prince Charles has

“made it clear that he was unaware of the extent of Mr Ball’s behaviour and is more than willing to provide context on his contact with the former bishop.”

A spokesman for the Prince told the Daily Mail last year that the correspondence contained nothing of relevance to the clergyman’s offending.

Peter Ball, 85, was convicted and jailed for abusing 18 teenagers and men in October 2015. The former Bishop carried out the abuse between the 1970s and 1990s. He was released from jail in February 2017 after serving 16 months of his sentence.

An update will be provided by the inquiry in the next couple of weeks.


Related Blog Articles