If you have been the victim of physical, sexual or emotional abuse you could be entitled to pursue a claim for compensation. The prospects of succeeding with such a claim can vary greatly depending upon a variety of factors. Due to the complex area of law it is important that you seek legal advice from an experienced abuse solicitor as soon as possible.

Following an initial interview, your solicitor will be able to give you guidance about the best way to recover the damages to which you are entitled. Your claim might be against the individual who caused the harm, however it is more common for claims to be pursued against an organisation or employer who is closely connected to the abuser.

In cases involving historic abuse the courts have used their power to allow claims to proceed outside the usual limitation deadline. This is not an automatic right and any further delay in starting your claim could affect your chances of being allowed to proceed.

If there is a criminal case proceeding in respect of the abuse, it is likely that your civil claim will be put on hold until the criminal investigation is complete. Due to the deadlines for bringing civil claims it is important that you start your claim as soon as possible, and then your solicitor will agree a postponement with the other parties rather than taking no action at all.

The majority of civil claims for compensation are settled out of court; however you should be prepared to give evidence about the abuse in court if necessary.

Proving that the abuse occurred is always a major hurdle and it will greatly strengthen your case if you are able to provide evidence that others were abused by the same person, or if the abuser has been convicted of similar crimes in the past.

You will be able to recover compensation for physical and psychological injuries that have been caused by the abuse. In addition you may also be entitled to claim compensation for other losses such as loss of earnings or treatment costs if these can be attributed to the abuse. If you have recently reported your abuse to the police you may also be entitled to compensation from Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. Our abuse solicitors will advice you about this process.


At Jordans solicitors, our highly qualified abuse solicitors will provide you with a free initial consultation and will be able to advice on whether you are likely to succeed with a civil compensation claim. We will assess the merits of your case and offer you an appropriate funding arrangement to enable us to act on your behalf and achieve the best possible outcome from your claim. To speak to a member of our specialist abuse team telephone free on 0800 955 5094.

Related Blog Articles